How to organize your life – Organizing tips, tricks and simple life hacks!
We’ve all been there- poor time-management sinkhole, the black hole of a to-do list…
The worst part was that it wasn’t your lack of effort, it’s not that you went to that party instead of finishing your homework! On the contrary; you infact worked too hard…
Your workload speeds up, so your stress level rises, because your working more, the small tasks get put off, but they begin to build up, the list of priorities build up more and more, so you stay up later, trying to cross off something on the ever-growing list. But now you’ve over-slept! You’re late to work, your boss is even more angry because of his stress, so you push yourself to work harder even though you’re struggling to keep your eyes open. But still, sleep keeps getting pushed back more and more, nourishment becomes the fast food you passed…
before you know it, you’re running on empty.
It’s ironic, isn’t it? Dozing off and getting those triple Zed’s is actually more productive in the long run than getting a couple more hours of extra work done. Yes, you’ll get less work done that day but
The worst part of this ‘black hole’?
It’s from putting off small tasks that you skipped trying to take a short cut. It seems to come up every time we put off a small problem.
My friend depicted this perfectly to me once:
You spill some cereal while hastily making breakfast; you decide to clean it up later since you’re already late to work. The day goes by, you’ve forgotten completely; a week goes by, you begin to notice the ants, the cockroaches… and the entire time you were stressing to stay ontop of your work they’ve been making themselves quite at home, telling their 6-8 legged friends about hotel-délá-your-wall and la-bouffe-your-pantry
Next thing you know, you’re chasing a cockroach around with a frying pan, frantically calling up exterminators, leaving voicemails for their ‘oh so convenient’ customer service machine, finally your sleeping on your friends couch because you saw a spider on your bed and a Cockroaches crawling up your wall-
That little accident grew and something that would have taken you less than a minute turns into a ‘time-sink’.
How to Organize your life
– and avoid life’s black holes –
Quick and easy planning and organizing tips that have saved me a couple all nighters!
Note: Not all of these may work for you, I’ve added a variety to help fit most lifestyles, but my best advice to you is to try out for a couple days and find which ones work for you! Remember, Work Smarter, NOT harder
- Using technology:
- Rescue Time: Helps find work/life balance, sending you weekly reports on your usage of time and daily habits on your computer and apps. You can also set alerts for certain lengths of time spent on an app or site. Option to block distracting websites for certain amount of ‘focus’ time.
- Evernote: If you’re a student esspecially, you need this app! Its basically a online notebook, but you can also add in web articles, annotate them, add in images and much more which I can’t explain all here. It’s avalible on any device you use, I have it attached to my google crome and it’s just a little button in the corner if I ever want to make note of a website or highlight.
- Focus Booster: focus booster helps to empower you to maintain focus and manage distractions. Stay focused and fresh to get more done.
- Sleepyti.me: A handy tool which calculates when the best time for you to go to bed if your waking up at a specific time, or choose the time you would like to wake up and Sleepytime will tell you when to fall asleep! Their calculator counts in sleep cycles of 90 min to avoid attempting to wake up during a sleep cycle. Wake up refreshed by finding the best time to go to sleep!
- KeepMeOut.com: Timer to block socail media and other distracting websites for your study session.
Pursue your goals: Coach.me is a virtual trainer to help you achieve any goal, form any habit, or build any expertise. A lovely way to help build your foundation for a happy and healthy lifestyle.
- Weigh urgency vs importance
- Do any tasks on your to-do list that would take less than 5min straight away.
Emergency Tips – getting out of the sinkhole:
Assess Situation:- Try to clear your mind of its constant remarks and worries. Their not helpful to you at this moment
To-do list:- On actual paper list all (necessary) tasks for: -Work -Personal -Self Care -Household
- Mark * by tasks less than <5 min
- Mark ! by MOST important tasks– prioritize them by weighing importance vs urgency.
- Cross off all tasks which are OPTIONAL– If you wish, note down for later BUT:- do not add more work onto yourself at this time! There is no need to impress anyone by length of your to-do list!
Take the next 15-30 min to complete as many * (less than 5min) tasks as you possibly can –
Quick side note – half-a**ing once in awhile is OK, in fact, since you’re reading this, i’m gonna go out on a limb and say that it’s probably healthiest for you right now!
- Turn on fast paced (happy) music
- move around a bit
- try to make it a game: How many tasks can you do in the allotted time.
- Set a timer
- Cross off tasks on the list as finish them- it’s surprisingly gratifying!